Sunday, August 30, 2009

Guy Reads

Guy (that's my nickname for my husband) doesn't bother with too many pages of the newspaper that don't contain box scores. I do what I can to keep him abreast of pressing agricultural issues, which means it's time for another installment of Guy Reads, the exciting segment where I share with you the news items I clip out of the paper for my husband.

From CNN: In European news of the are you kidding me nature, locals are selling space in their haylofts for tourists -
In Germany and its European neighbors Austria and Switzerland, a long weekend in a converted barn - sleeping on a bed of freshly raked hay -- is fast becoming the 'staycation' of choice.

Yes, hotels with beds made out of hay are the newest rage. The article says people are booking these primitive accommodations for honeymoons--so they can take a literal roll in the hay, I guess.

Readers of this blog know by now that no American farmer would even let you SIT on their valuable hay, let alone roll in it.


Thanks to USA Today, surprising news that most of us are lactose intolerant. Humans are the only species whose adults consume milk--and we're glad they do.

I include this article so husband can be aware of a scientific study that affects our family's particular line of agriculture. Also because it includes this tasty turn of phrase, "undigested sugars end up in the colon, where they begin to ferment, producing gas that can cause cramping, bloating, nausea, flatulence and diarrhea."

If I wasn't before, I'm certainly more leery now of sharing a hay bed with a European.

3 comments:

Appointment Pooping

  NOTE: If you do not want to read about my healthy bowel movement, well too late you just did. I recently became you-better-get-a-colonosco...