Wednesday, March 12, 2008

So Much Harder Than Writing a Check

Tomorrow I have to be compassionate.

It sounded like a good idea at the time, using my computer skills to help people in our community apply for government aid programs. There was training at a remarkable facility on the wrong side of town, and it was fun--more computer stuff.

But now I have to be compassionate. In person. I will sit right next to someone who has gotten themselves in such a mess that they are feeding their family from a food pantry and help them untangle the web of their life for government consumption.

I will listen to their tales of woe, interspersed with sorting out child support payments, and the amount they owe on the clunker that brought them to me.

I will struggle not to judge them for reeking of cigarattes and making poor "life decisions." Some will arrive ready to get whatever they are DUE from their benevelont Uncle Sam. Others will be stunned to find that their temporary set-back has made them into one of those people who get government assistance.


Tonight I can come home from my cushy corporate job and rest securely in my warm home with my healthy family. Tomorrow I have to be compassionate.

1 comment:

  1. I had a tremendous experience helping very nice people who are down on their luck. I can't wait to do this again.

    ReplyDelete

Appointment Pooping

  NOTE: If you do not want to read about my healthy bowel movement, well too late you just did. I recently became you-better-get-a-colonosco...